Program Description and Requirements
| Eligibility Requirements | Application Information
- MURF students are welcomed into Caltech and JPL's community
of researchers and scholars.
- Students carry out individual research projects under the mentorship of
Caltech faculty or JPL technical staff over a ten-week summer period.
- MURF students may work on a day-to-day basis with a graduate
student or postdoctoral scholar co-mentor.
- Program Associates introduce MURF students to the Caltech culture, provide
advice, discuss graduate school issues, answer questions, etc.
- MURF students join a large contingent of undergraduate researchers in an
array of programs administered by the Student-Faculty Programs office.
- MURF students may participate in a wealth of programs and activities coordinated
by the Student-Faculty Programs office.
- Students receive a payment of $600/week plus housing and travel
Upon receiving a MURF award, students sign an agreement to fulfill the following
- To submit a project plan by May 15 following collaboration with the mentor
- To submit progress reports signed by their mentors
- To submit an abstract of their project
- To submit a written technical report approved by the mentor
- To give an oral presentation on one of the scheduled seminar day symposia
MURF students receive payments of $600/week. Payments will be distributed in
equal installments twice over the summer.
To enrich the research experience, MURF offers:
- MURF Monday sessions to hear seminars by faculty and graduate
students, graduate student panels, and other presentations.
- Weekly seminars by Caltech faculty and JPL technical staff.
- A participatory discussion series on developing a research career, graduate
school admissions, and other topics of interest to future researchers.
- Social and cultural activities coordinated by the SURF Student Advisory
- Weekly SURFSAC Suppers give small groups of students the chance to get
together with two to four faculty members for informal conversation at local
- Special field trips.
Housing will be available on the Caltech campus.